Friday, September 14, 2012

Book Feature and Guest Post

A Day in the Life . . .

“So, I was refining my description of Hell the other day—”

Wouldn’t your head whip around if you heard that in your local coffee shop? Welcome to a day in my life.

I write about the paranormal, the supernatural – the unreal. And I love every minute of it. Imagine going to an old Victorian graveyard in the middle of the night, to find out what it feels like to be there. Or stepping inside a haunted castle, wondering if the resident spirit is going to make an appearance. Here come the goose bumps . . .

I grew up loving the spooky, the unusual, the otherworldly, so it’s no surprise to me that’s what I ended up being inspired by, and what I love to write about. I have scared myself silly more than I care to admit, and I’ve had the pleasure of doing it in some incredible, far flung places.

Like a windswept, deserted necropolis overlooking a 1,000 year old cathedral in Glasgow. Or an evocative castle ruin on the North East coast of England, where the wind whistling along the stones sounds like the voices of the past, whispering their story. How about an ancient stone circle, bathed in dawn light, where the energy lines are so powerful they can be felt under your feet? That’s my kind of research.

For A Gathering of Angels the research was closer to home – Gold Country in Northern California, and Laguna Beach, the location for my fictional beach town of Santa Luna. I have spent loads of time in each location, and I grew up near Laguna, so I know it better than my own neighborhood.

I’m an “on the ground” writer – I have to see it, experience it, walk in the steps of my characters. Maybe not all the way to Hell, but I do like to get as close as possible to what they would actually experience. And in the process I’ve bumped up against my fair share of the unexplained. Good, spooky fun – and all in a day’s work.

Thanks for hanging out with me. I hope we get to do it again soon.

Cheers,

~Cate
A Gathering of Angels


Synopsis
Claire Wiche sacrificed everything to keep her friends safe, revealing her true self. She expected the final battle to be the end for her. But she is back, breathing - and threatened by an enemy she doesn't have the means to fight.

An enemy bent on vengeance and possession, whatever the cost.

Trapped, alone, Claire has to find the strength to stand against what she knows she can't defeat. And the courage to face the people she thought she left behind.

Excerpt:
Sitting on the edge of the bed, Annie Sullivan tapped three sleeping pills out of the bottle and into her palm. After a short debate, she added another one. She set the bottle on the side table, dropped the pills in her mouth and chased them down with a long swig of beer. 
It didn’t help any more than water, but it did make her head fuzzy a little faster. At least, that was the excuse she would give to Marcus if he ever found out.
He watched her like an overprotective brother. She wanted to slap him down for it, but she knew he was worried. Going into the fourth month after losing Claire, Annie looked like she was the one who fell into Hell.
She scrubbed at her face, then climbed into bed and stared at the ceiling, waiting for the pills to take effect. For the dreams to yank her in.
It didn’t take long before she was pulled under, slipping into smoke and shadow. Into a dream where she wasn’t alone.

Author Bio:
Cate Dean has been writing since she could hold a pen in her hand and put more than two words together on paper. She grew up losing herself in the wilds of fantasy worlds, and has had some of her own adventures while tromping through the UK, and a few other parts of the world. A lover of all things supernatural, she infuses that love into her stories, giving them a unique edge. When she's not writing, she loves cooking, scaring herself silly in the local cemeteries, and reading pretty much anything she can get her hands on.

Author Links:
Website: http://catedeanwrites.com
Facebook page: http://facebook.com/catedeanwrites.com
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/catedeanwrites.com
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5694181.Cate_Dean
Amazon Author Central: http://amazon.com/author/catedean


Buying Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment